Plead the Belly

Thank you for visiting our site! Don't forget to follow us on social media and leave a review where you listen to podcasts! 

023 - PTB discusses Patty Hearst, Shlyoh's present, and how many women criminals there are.

023 - PTB discusses Patty Hearst, Shlyoh's present, and how many women criminals there are.


Patty Hearst was was the daughter from a wealthy, powerful family, her grandfather was the newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst. On February 4th, 1974, Berkeley, California she was kidnapped from her boyfriend apartment. A group of men and women burst into the apartment and beat up her fiance before throwing her into a car and driving off.

The group was the Symbionese Liberation Army (or SLA). The SLA was formed in Berkeley, California, just months before the kidnapping. By the early Seventies, after years of protest and resistance, some fringes of the Left were developing a sense of urgency. In the ever-present debate between non-violent and violent actions, the idea of terrorism was gaining ground.

In March 1973, William DeFreeze escaped from prison and headed to his friends in Berkeley. Bill and Emily Harris, had arrived in Berkeley with their friends Gary and Angela Atwood from Bloomington, Indiana. By the end of the summer, this group had formed the Symbionese Liberation Army. Their priorities included ending racism, monogamy, the prison system and "all other institutions that have made and sustained capitalism." DeFreeze took the name "General Field Marshal Cinque" and became the group's leader.

Eventually the group moved to a safe house in Concord California. Before kidnapping Hearst they had killed a a black school superintendent because he had supported student identification policies but later withdrew his support. After this, they went into hiding. Two members were caught because of a traffic stop and charged with the murder.

After kidnapping Hearst the SLA began releasing audiotapes demanding millions of dollars in food donations in exchange for her release. Her dad gave in, to an extent, but she wasn’t released.

Three months after she was taken captive the SLA released an tape where Hearst announced that she was joining the SLA. As time went on more tapes were released.

Hearst began participating in SLA led crimes, including  including robbery and extortion, and she also took a new name, Tania. She was recorded on tape barking order at hostages. She also helped to make two homemade explosives to use again policeman.

It’s widely believed that she had Stockholm Syndrome, which is where ‘ hostages begin to develop positive feelings toward their captors, an effect thought to occur when victims' initially frightening experiences with their kidnappers are later countered with acts of compassion or camaraderie by those same individuals.’

On May 16th two other SLA members tried to steal an ammunition belt from a local store and were nearly caught. The getaway van was discovered, which led the police to an SLA safe house. The next day, the house was surrounded by L.A. police. A massive shootout ensued. The building went up in flames; six members of the SLA died in the blaze, including DeFreeze. Hearst however, wasn’t there.

On September 18th 1975 Hearst was finally captured. She weighed only 87 pounds  and was described by a doctor as "a low-IQ, low-affect zombie". She said that she was was isolated, felt that no one would rescue her, and that she was sexually abused by various gang members.

During her trial, Judge Oliver Jesse Carter did not allow expert testimony that indicated the 'Tania' statements and writing were not wholly composed by Hearst but he allowed the prosecution to introduce statements after one of the robberies as proof of her state of mind during the robbery. He also allowed a recording made by jail authorities of a friend's jail visit with Hearst where she used profanities and spoke of her radical and feminist beliefs but didn’t allow tapes of her talking with a psychiatrist Louis Jolyon West.

In 1976 she was convicted of bank robbery and sentenced to 35 years in prison. Between that and her sentencing the first judge died so William Horsley Orrick Jr. save her seven years, commenting that, "rebellious young people who, for whatever reason become revolutionaries, and voluntarily commit criminal acts will be punished’.

In prison Hearst suffered a collapsed lung and had to be kept in solitary for security reasons.  However, she served less than two years in prison and was released after President Jimmy Carter commuted her prison term. In 2000 she applied for a pres pardon and the acting attorney general, Robert Mueller, said, "I strongly oppose the pardon application filed by Patricia Hearst. The attitude of Hearst has always been that she is a person above the law and that, based on her wealth and social position, she is not accountable for her conduct, despite the jury's verdict."

In January 2001, shortly before he left the White House, President Bill Clinton granted her a full pardon. Hearst went on to become an actress and married her former bodyguard Bernard Shaw, with whom she now has two children.

024 -PTB discusses old video games, a potential new musical and the Bloody Benders

024 -PTB discusses old video games, a potential new musical and the Bloody Benders

022- PTB discusses female athletes, basketball and Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson

022- PTB discusses female athletes, basketball and Brittney Griner and Glory Johnson